The Ultra Short version of the QHY600 PRO utilizes a special short backfocus front piece that allows the camera to have 12.5mm of backfocus. This version version is designed for use with DSLR lenses with an attached filter wheel. Customers who do not need the short backfocus should instead purchase the 600L. The structure of the camera puts the optical glass close to the sensor, increasing the chance of dew formation. For those who use the US version, a user supplied air pump is suggested to generate air flow.
The QHY 600M Ultra Short is a full-frame CMOS cooled astronomy camera containing the monochrome Sony IMX455, a revolutionary back illuminated sensor with a QE above 90% and true 16-bit A/D, translating to a dynamic range of 14 stops. The pixels have a size of 3.76 µm and a resolution of 61 Megapixels.
The full well capacity at full resolution is above 51,000 e-, it rises above 204,000 e- at binning 2x2 without excessively reducing the resolution and remaining above 15 Megapixels.
The QHY600M Pro includes 2x high-speed 10 Gigabit optical fibre ports (PCI fibre interface card sold separately). The optical fiber interface is not only faster but also provides very high stability and allows a very long transfer distance (up to 300 meters).
Differently from the other cameras, QHY developed three different capturing modes for the 600M:
- #0 Photographic Mode: this is the standard mode that can be used for general astrophotography. The readout noise rapidly drops between 25 and 26 (2.5e- at gain 26), ideal for long focal length telescopes where a longer exposure time is required. The trade-off at gain 26 is a lower full well capacity at 25,000 e-. In fast telescopes (f/2.2 - f/4) the gain can be set to zero to use the maximum full well capacity (51,000 e-).
- #1 High Gain Mode: the readout noise is much lower at 3.5e- between gain 0 and 55. This mode is ideal for narrowband imaging where long exposures are generally required. Above gain 55, the readout noise drops even further at 1.5e-.
- #2 Super Full Well: ideal for objects with bright stars or strong contrast. The full well capacity is at the highest level along the entire gain range.
- #3 Extended Full Well: The advantage of this mode is that it has the same full well value and system gain as the #2 mode, but the read noise is reduced by about 1.3 times.
Unlike DSLR cameras, the QHY 600M offers true RAW image output that only records the signal without artefacts, noise reduction or hot pixel removal, which can undermine post processing and final quality of the image.
The two-stage TEC cooling brings the sensor temperature 35C° below ambient for low noise imaging even in warm climates. The dark current at -20°C is only 0.002 electron/pixels. In addition, QHYCCD employs unique thermal noise control to reduce noise to a very low value without affecting the integrity of the raw image. The QHY 600M employs a full anti-dew technology for both CMOS sensor cover glass and the optical window.
The 2GB DDR3 memory buffer is especially useful for when USB traffic is high, the writing speed of your computer is slow or occupied with other processes.
To avoid halos around bright stars, the QHY 600M has an AR coated optical window on both sides rather than the common IR/UV cut coating. Also, the sensor protection glass is AR coated to maximize light transmission and minimize internal reflections.
The QHY 600M PRO has zero amplifier glow no matter how long the exposure is.
The Horsehead nebula - Wu Zhen, Celestron RASA11, QHYCCD QHY600, Antlia Ha 3.5nm
|Sensor||Sony IMX455 back illuminated full frame - MONOCHROME|
|Resolution||61.17 Megapixels 9576 x 6388|
|Pixel size||3.76 µm|
|Sensor size||24mm x 36mm (43.27mm diagonal)|
|Read noise||3.7e- at high gain ; 1.0e- at lowest gain|
|Dark current||0.0022e-/pixel/sec @ -20C|
|Full well capacity||51,000 e-|
|Bit rate||Native 16 bit ADC|
|Frame rate||2.5 fps at full resolution (16 bits)|
|Shutter type||Rolling shutter|
|Cooling||ΔT of 35°C Dual Stage TEC cooler|
|Memory buffer||2 GB DDR3|
|Compatibility||Mac, Windows, Linux|
|Optical window||AR coated (both sides)|
|Ports||USB 3.0, CFW, 2 x 10 Gigabit Optical Fiber|
|Compatibility||Mac, Windows, Linux|
|Back focus||12.5 mm (including the flange, see schematic below)|
|Power consumption||40W (at 100% cooling power)|
|Connections||M54 x 0.75 female thread (embedded in camera dovetail adapter)|
|Dimensions||Ø 90 mm; ↨ 169.60 mm|
|Weight||850 gr (without tilt adapter)|
|Power supply||12V 3.5A (2.1×5.5 mm connector)|
- QHY 600M Pro
- USB 3.0 cable (1.5m)
- Screwed power cable (5.5-2.1mm male jack with locking nut to 5.5-2.1mm female jack)
- Lighter plug adapter to 5.5-2.1mm power jack
- Desiccant Drying Tube (desiccant not included)
- Camera dovetail to M54 x 0.75 adapter with 3 thumb screws at 120°
- M54 x 0.75 to 2"adapter (2.5mm optical thickness, M48 x 0.75 internal thread for standard 2" filters)
- M48 adapter (optical thickness 5mm)
- Spacer rings (optical thickness of 1mm, 3x 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 10mm)
- Bags of screws
- Australian power supply 240 to 12V 5A with 5.5-2.1 jack