The DayStar Solar Scout 80 is a high quality carbon fibre achromatic doublet refractor specifically designed for the Hydrogen-alpha wavelength. It contains an interchangeable Quark Chromosphere or Prominence H-alpha filter which offers performance comparable to similar solar telescopes from other manufacturers, but at a far lower cost.
The Solar Scout 80 is available in either Prominence or Chromosphere configurations at no extra cost, depending on your goals.
- The Chromosphere version features a bandpass between 0.5 - 0.3Å (depending on your telescope's f-ratio), making it the perfect choice for viewing surface detail, although prominences will still be visible.
- The Prominence version has a bandpass of 0.8 - 0.6Å, which will deliver bright, high-contrast views of prominences against a jet black sky.
- 1400mm Effective Focal Length
- Quality Achromat Doublet 80mm refractor
- Interchangeable Quark H-alpha filter
- Carbon fibre construction
- Robust and precision accuracy: Helical Front-Focus can't slip and does not turn the eyepiece.
- Solar Bullet finder projects safely onto white screen.
- Full 22mm clear aperture.
- Quark can be moved to other instruments for different magnifications
- Swap filter(s) for different bandpass views
- Adaptable for 2" or Camera mount / views
- Always on-band with USB power, 5v 1.5amp
- Tuning knob allows wing shifting +/- 0.5Å
- LED indicator for power, warming, ready, fault
- Vixen /Photo style mounting foot
- Environmental hard case
- 5 year warranty
* Application of 2" eyepieces or components, and Camera T-adapters require additional, optional accessories. Diagonal shown in photo is optional.
||80 mm achromatic doublet
||1400 mm (approximate effective)
|Effective F ratio
|Tuning knob||Wing shift +/- 0.5 Å in 0.1 Å increments
||Prominence model: 0.6 - 0.8 Å, Chromosphere model: 0.3 - 0.5 Å
||Integrated 2-element telecentric 4.3x optimized for 656 nm
|Blocking filter||Integrated 12 mm blocking filter|
|Clear aperture||22 mm clear etalon aperture, passes full solar disk|
|Connection||1.25" female drawtube with brass compression ring|
|Mounting||Reversible Vixen style dovetail foot with 1/4-20 holes|
|Power||Requires 5 v 1.5 amp with USB Micro-B connector|
|Dimensions||512 mm length x 94 mm width x 135 mm height|
|SKU||Chromosphere - DS-SS80C, Prominence - DS-SS80P|