The DayStar Instruments Magnesium Quark Eyepiece will give high resolution sunspot detail, plage, granulation, and possibly the super-granulation depending on resolution and seeing of the observer.
Sodium can also show flare footprints, also known as flare kernels.
The D2 line at 5890Å is brighter than both Calcium and even Hydrogen Alpha. So it's going to be very easy for observers to see and the exposures will be very short.
To prevent damage to your telescope, the Quark must be used with an appropriate energy rejection filter (sold separately). For refractors under 120mm of aperture, a screw-in UV/IR-cut filter can be used if placed in front of the telescope diagonal. Do not use a UV/IR-cut filter with oil-spaced objectives or any telescope with an integrated field flattener or Petzval lens. The UV/IR-cut filter must be the first optical element to receive concentrated light.
The Sodium D Quark required yellow glass energy rejection filters. The red glass ERFs will not pass Sodium. Recommended for use with a UV/IR cut filter for safety.
For use on F4 - F/8 focal ratio refractors, the user needn't worry about configurations. Just insert in your diagonal, add an eyepiece and view.
Exact filter bandpass will vary based on final telescope application. No specific FWHM bandpass is designated, but it will be around 0.5Å or lower. The fully optimized design eliminates the need for any adapters. It's all combined in one lightweight eyepiece sized device.
The QUARK assembly is a product of DayStar Instruments, using DayStar Filters' Fabry Perot etalon technology.
- 1.25" or 2.0" combo eyepiece snouts with safety indent slot directly into your diagonal
- Standard 1.25 eyepiece drawtube output with optional 2" and SCT accessories available.
- Brass compression ring to protect eyepiece.
- Uses USB power, 5v 1.5amp
- Includes 90-240VAC wall adapter with international plug adapters.
- Tuning knob allows wing shifting +/- 0.5Å with detents at every 0.1Å
- LED indicator for power, warming, ready, fault
- 5 year warranty
- Integrated, fully baffled 2 element telecentric 4.2X barlow optimized for 517nm
- Integrated 12mm blocking filter
- 21mm clear filter aperture
- Best performance with F/4 - F/8 refractors
- Full disk viewing possible on refractors up to ~450mm focal length refractors
- No aperture limitations. May be used on larger refractors for higher magnification views
- Ships in convenient Twist-Case for safe, dust-free storage.
- Not suited for off-axis application.