DayStar's Quantum range of solar filters are designed for professional and serious amateur applications and offer absolute precision control over wavelength transmission. The SE grade meet the critical DayStar quality control criteria applicable in all visual and some photographic environments.
The precision Quantum housing incorporates ALL of the desired features for today's solar astronomer... and then some. Operation couldn't be simpler, just plug it in and a green light indicates when the filter is onband.
The housing offers live LCD readout of the filter's wavelength output (accurate to 0.1Å) and red /blue wing shift buttons that can precisely tune wavelength up or down for Doppler studies. The unit operates at 12VDC for field or battery use and includes a serial port for computer control capability for on-screen display of filter readout.
The Quantum SE is available with the following half-bandwidth FWHM specifications:
- 0.8 ångström - Filters with 0.8 ångström bandwidths will reveal prominences in high contrast.
- 0.7 ångström - Filters with 0.7 ångström bandwidths will reveal prominences in high contrast and occasionally, surface texture. Prominences are generally larger with .7Å filters than in narrower bandwidths.
- 0.6 ångström - Filters with 0.6 ångström bandwidths will reveal some surface contrast as well as prominences. A .6Å filter can be a good compromise for those having a difficult decision.
- 0.5 ångström - Filters with 0.5 ångström bandwidths will reveal better surface contrast as well as great prominences.
- 0.4 ångström - Filters with 0.4 ångström bandwidths will reveal excellent surface contrast as well as fine chromosphere detail.
- 0.3 ångström - Filters with 0.3Å ångström bandwidths will reveal superior surface contrast above any other filter. Views are generally somewhat dimmer. Expect "Pencil-Thin" details on surface and prominence features.