DayStar's Quantum range of solar filters are designed for professional and serious amateur applications and offer absolute precision control over wavelength transmission. The PE grade series is designed for professional research studies and applications in which precision homogeneity and on-band transmittance values across the substrate surface are required. These filters require additional quality control steps and additional fabrication and testing time.
The precision Quantum housing incorporates ALL of the desired features for today's solar astronomer... and then some. Operation couldn't be simpler, just plug it in and a green light indicates when the filter is on-band.
The housing offers live LCD readout of the filter's wavelength output (accurate to 0.1Å) and red /blue wing shift buttons that can precisely tune wavelength up or down for Doppler studies. The unit operates at 12VDC for field or battery use and includes a serial port for computer control capability for on-screen display of filter readout.
PE grade filters are manufactured and qualified to a spectral uniformity in CWL (Central Wavelength) accuracy of ± 0.05 ångström. DayStar's high resolution etalon mapping equipment offers qualification certified accurate by independent testing with etalon transmission sample sizes of 5mm, 2mm or 1mm sample sizes with certification printouts available on new PE filter purchases.
The Quantum PE is available with the following half-bandwidth FWHM specifications:
- 0.8 ångström - Filters with 0.8 ångström bandwidths will reveal prominences in high contrast.
- 0.7 ångström - Filters with 0.7 ångström bandwidths will reveal prominences in high contrast and occasionally, surface texture. Prominences are generally larger with .7Å filters than in narrower bandwidths.
- 0.6 ångström - Filters with 0.6 ångström bandwidths will reveal some surface contrast as well as prominences. A .6Å filter can be a good compromise for those having a difficult decision.
- 0.5 ångström - Filters with 0.5 ångström bandwidths will reveal better surface contrast as well as great prominences.
- 0.4 ångström - Filters with 0.4 ångström bandwidths will reveal excellent surface contrast as well as fine chromosphere detail.
- 0.3 ångström - Filters with 0.3Å ångström bandwidths will reveal superior surface contrast above any other filter. Views are generally somewhat dimmer. Expect "Pencil-Thin" details on surface and prominence features.