The QHY 600L - Light version is a full-frame CMOS cooled astronomy camera containing the monochrome version of the Sony IMX455, a revolutionary full-frame back illuminated sensor which has a QE above 87% and true 16-bit A/D.
This translates to a dynamic range of 14 stops for vibrant and natural colours, even for faint nebulae. The pixels have a size of 3.76 µm which is excellent for telescopes with different focal lengths.
The large sensor has a resolution of more than 61 Megapixels allowing to crop, scale and print the frames in large formats.
The full well capacity at full resolution is above 51,000 e-, it rises above 204,000 e- at binning 2x2 without excessively reducing the resolution and remaining above 15 Megapixels.
Differently from the other cameras, QHY developed three different capturing modes for the 600L:
- #0 Photographic Mode: this is the standard mode that can be used for general astrophotography. The readout noise rapidly drops between 25 and 26 (2.5e- at gain 26) which is ideal for long focal length telescopes where a longer exposure time is required. The trade-off at gain 26 is a lower full well capacity at 25,000 e-. In fast telescopes (f/2.2 - f/4) the gain can be set to zero to use the maximum full well capacity (,000 e-).
- #1 High Gain Mode: the readout noise is much lower at 3.5e- between gain 0 and 55. This mode is ideal for narrowband imaging where long exposures are generally required. Above gain 55, the readout noise drops even further at 1.5e-.
- #2 Super Full Well: ideal for objects with bright stars or strong contrasts. The full well capacity is at the highest level along the entire gain range.
- #3 Extended Full Well: The advantage of this mode is that it has the same full well value and system gain as the #2 mode, but the read noise is reduced by about 1.3 times.
Unlike DSLR cameras, the QHY 600L offers true RAW image output that only records the signal without artefacts. Standard DSLR's have the RAW output option but the file is altered with noise reduction and hot pixel removal, undermining post processing and final quality of the image.
The two-stage TEC cooling brings the sensor temperature 35C° below ambient for low noise imaging even in warm climates. The dark current at -20°C is only 0.002 electron/pixels. In addition, QHYCCD employs unique thermal noise control to reduce noise to a very low value without affecting the integrity of the raw image, resulting in much better noise reduction than any other astronomy camera on the market. The QHY 600L employs a full anti-dew technology for both CMOS sensor cover glass and the optical window to avoid condensation or ice crystals in the camera.
The 1GB DDR3 memory buffer is especially useful for when USB traffic is high, the writing speed of your computer is slow or occupied with other processes.
In order to avoid halos around bright stars, the QHY 600L has an AR coated optical window on both sides rather than the common IR/UV cut coating. Also, the sensor protection glass is AR coated to maximize light transmission and minimize internal reflections.
Every QHY 600L camera is carefully calibrated with a high-precision axis measurement device. Orthogonal placement of the sensor in the camera body is guaranteed to be flat to the image plane with a precision better than +/-20µm from edge to edge, so there is no need to adjust the camera tilt. This is a huge advantage especially in fast telescopes such as F/2.8-F/4 astrographs which are very sensitive to tilted sensors.
The QHY 600L has zero amplifier glow no matter how long the exposure is.
The Horsehead nebula - Wu Zhen, Celestron RASA11, QHYCCD QHY600, Antlia Ha 3.5nm
|Sensor||Sony IMX455 back illuminated full frame - MONOCHROME|
|Resolution||61.17 Megapixels 6280 x 4210|
|Pixel size||3.76 µm|
|Sensor size||24mm x 36mm (43.27mm diagonal)|
|Read noise||3.7e- at high gain ; 1.0e- at lowest gain|
|Dark current||0.0022e-/pixel/sec @ -20C|
|Full well capacity||51,000 e-|
|Bit rate||Native 16 bit ADC|
|Frame rate||2.5 fps at full resolution (16 bits)|
|Shutter type||Rolling shutter|
|Cooling||ΔT of 35°C Dual Stage TEC cooler|
|Memory buffer||1 GB DDR3|
|Compatibility||Mac, Windows, Linux|
|Optical window||AR coated (both sides)|
|Ports||USB 3.0, CFW|
|Compatibility||Mac, Windows, Linux|
|Back focus||17.5 mm ±0.3mm|
|Power consumption||40W (at 100% cooling power)|
|Connections||M54 x 0.75 female thread (embedded in camera dovetail adapter)|
|Dimensions||Ø 90 mm; ↨ 112.80 mm|
|Power supply||12V 3.5A (2.1×5.5 mm connector)|
- QHY 600L
- USB 3.0 cable (1.5m)
- Screwed power cable (5.5-2.1mm male jack with locking nut to 5.5-2.1mm female jack)
- Lighter plug adapter to 5.5-2.1mm power jack
- Desiccant Drying Tube (desiccant not included)
- Camera dovetail to M54 x 0.75 adapter with 3 thumb screws at 120°
- M54 x 0.75 to 2"adapter (2.5mm optical thickness, M48 x 0.75 internal thread for standard 2" filters)
- Australian plug power supply 240 to 12V 6A with 5.5-2.1 power jack (not in the photo below)