Do you want to take pictures with your DSLR like an expert but you don't want to use a computer for long exposure astrophotography? Switch to the patented EAGLE CORE (European Patent EP3335078) and you will no longer need to bring your computer, buy software or install drivers. EAGLE CORE allows you to capture, autoguide, focus and control your telescope via Wi-Fi with your smartphone or tablet!
DSLR and mirrorless cameras are great for astrophotography as they have high sensitivity and low noise. EAGLE CORE combined with an equatorial mount, a guiding camera and a camera lens or telescope allow you to take spectacular pictures of the night sky in the easier way.
EAGLE CORE is designed for those who start doing astrophotography in a very simple way and want transportable and lightweight equipment.
In order to make high quality photos, connect a DSLR or mirrorless camera to a telescope is not enough. When using an external computer, telescope equipment becomes complicated due to all cables needed. EAGLE CORE simplifies your telescope set-up, making your instrument easier to use and to transport.
Technical comment by Filippo: "Using EAGLE CORE is like having a capture software for your DSLR or mirrorless camera, an autoguide software, a focus software and a planetarium software all in your smartphone or tablet! Often I take photos from my backyard controlling the telescope from the couch remotely!"
As for other EAGLE control units, EAGLE CORE can be installed directly on your telescope and it powers up your telescope and accessories (3x 12V 5A, 1x 12V-3A). There is a built-in a PLUS case that allows to attach it to all telescopes and customise for your needs.
EAGLE CORE can:
- Control all the devices from your smartphone or tablet with a Wi-Fi connection. You can stay warm at home or in the car and control every device of your telescope.
- Control your Canon EOS or Nikon DSLR or mirrorless camera. Set the acquisition parameters, then start capturing a single image or a sequence. The following cameras have been tested and verified with EAGLE CORE: Canon EOS R, Canon EOS 1000D, 1100D, 1300D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 650D, 700D, 750D, 800D, 20D, 40D, 60D/60Da, 70D, 80D, 7D, 6D, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, Nikon Z6, Nikon Z7, Nikon D3300, D3400, D5300, D5600, D7000 (D7000 can't "B" mode), D90, D600, D610, D750, D800E, D810.
- Focus your DSLR or mirrorless camera. Using the integrated software you can focus on the smallest details of your image. Eagle Core is compatible with the robotic focuser SESTO SENSO.
- Control your mount by connecting the hand controller to one of the USB ports of the EAGLE CORE. Use SkySafari PLUS or PRO (sold separately) to slew your mount. Mounts already tested with EAGLE CORE are: SkyWatcher mounts with SynScan hand-pad (firmware at least 4.39) and Celestron mounts with NexStar+ hand-pad.
Manage an autoguide camera through the integrated autoguide software that automatically corrects tracking errors of the telescope's mount (compatible with QHY5II-L, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC-S, ASI178MM, ASI290MM, ASI290MC and Lodestar).
Use dithering that minimizes sensor artefacts during image stacking.
Power up to 3 devices (12V) through optional cables and adapters. You can power the DSLR camera, the mount and dew heaters directly from the EAGLE CORE, eliminating the need for dedicated power supplies.
EAGLE OS: INTEGRATED SOFTWARE FOR DSLR AND MIRRORLESS ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY
With EAGLE CORE you will no longer need a laptop. EAGLE OS software controls the autoguide and your DSLR or mirrorless camera. You can control the capture schedule and guide parameters directly on the screen of your smartphone or tablet (compatible with iOS and Android devices) through the Wi-Fi connection.
DESIGN: INNOVATION IN A COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT DEVICE
All the incredible features of EAGLE CORE are enclosed in a compact, lightweight device. EAGLE CORE case is CNC machine carved from aluminum blocks. Then, the aluminum is sandblasted to achieve a very smooth surface finish and it is anodized (hard anodizing) to increase the hardness of the material and to protect it from oxidation.
The autoguide feature of EAGLE CORE corrects the classic tracking error of the equatorial mounts. In the below image you can see how a 300 second exposition picture recorded at 200mm focal length shows the results with(right) and without (left) autoguide.
Each EAGLE CORE includes a user manual (in English and Italian) which explains how to use EAGLE CORE and teach the basics of astrophotography. Here is a summary:
- Introduction to astrophotography with DSLR and mirrorless cameras
- Planetary/lunar and deep-sky astrophotography
- Astrophotography with telephoto lens or telescope?
- Mount and sky objects tracking
- Connecting DSLR or mirrorless camera to telescopes
- Before starting to photograph: light pollution and power
- Start taking pictures, step by step guide
- Step 1: Polar align the mount
- Step 2: align the mount to the stars
- Step 3: point the object to record
- Step 4: focus DSLR or mirrorless camera
- Step 5: start the autoguide
- Step 6: advanced autoguide settings (optional)
- Step 7: record pictures with DSLR or mirrorless camera
- EAGLE CORE control unit
- Power cable with lighter plug for Eagle (length 200cm)
- 4x M6 x 8 screws, 4x M6 x 12 screws
- User manual with introduction to DSLR astrophotography (English and Italian language)
To have access to the latest version of the manual, software package and firmware visit www.primalucelab.com/astronomy/downloads
To connect Eagle Core via WiFi to your computer, smartphone or tablet and use the virtual hand pad:
- Connect your device to the Eagle Core WiFi network eaglecorexxxx;
- Enter the password "eaglecore",
- Open your browser and enter the address 192.168.4.1